RSS

Gizmo's Space: Before

So it looks like we're setting up a room, or most of a room, for Gizmo.  This entire pregnancy I have been saying we didn't need to do this because he would be sleeping in our room until we move to a bigger place.  I reminded myself to be patient every time I saw some cute baby nursery item. I wrote about how frustrating it was, but how I made myself feel better by getting our financial house in order before Gizmo gets here.

And then I registered.

Damn. I never realized how much crap babies need.  I thought my registry was pretty full until some other mothers pointed out all the things I had left off.  I also decided I really wanted a glider to nurse the baby on and thus needed a spot for that to happen.  We had talked about putting it in our bedroom but I felt it was a better idea to take Gizmo out of the bedroom so that H can sleep.

Enter the office.

When we first bought the condo we said this room would become the nursery and that we wouldn't move until the first baby was a year old because "they're so small."  But after five years here and it taking us so long to get pregnant, we are ready to move on. Unfortunately since we're underwater on the condo we need a hefty down payment for our next home.  Oh yeah, and that room has since become H's office since he works from home sixty percent of the time.

So....in addition to being the place in which he spends twelve hours a day, it also houses a ton of clutter.  If you look behind the bike and the humongous air conditioner (which is actually really awesome) you will see the television we just replaced, the artwork we bought on our cruise for the baby's future room, remnants of a mail order weight loss program I was on, tons of books we weren't able to sell in the Great Book Purge of 2011, a chair we haven't thrown out yet because the cats like it, etc. etc.

The new plan is to put the giant bookcase and the pub table in storage and decide to save or purge the rest.  Add a dresser with a changing pad on top and a glider.  And maybe some shelving with baby items.  Plus a nice shaggy rug that we can play on and do tummy time.  Ever since we came up with this plan my anxiety has been greatly improved.  I think I just need to do something tangible to prove there will actually be a baby living here other than operating on the assumption that money will just fall out of the sky and we will be all moved by June.

I played around with a room design template and came up with a layout.  H's desk will stay where it is but he promises to try and work for at least a few hours a day at a coffee shop so we can share the space. I'm excited to get started transforming the space.

0 comments:

Post a Comment